Cooking Classes

10.1.15

Sea Buckthorn Crisps

It is the post holiday season and healthy eating is at the top of my mind, if not yours. I really want to have a healthy diet this winter and possibly drop a few pounds. Cravings are my nemesis. Mostly I have salty cravings but I also have crispy cravings. Crispy can trump salty so I opt to make something healthy and crispy.

These are a Raincoast Crisp knock-off with a twist. Sea Buckthorn are about the most nutritious plant on the planet. High in antioxidants and about 23 other significant nutrients make them something I try to add to my menu plan as often as I can.

They are a very small and tart berry with a disproportionately large pit. Eating without sweetening is not pleasant. I have usually made desserts or salad dressings or added them to barbecue sauces but I want a more simple application. Pair crispy with healthy and I came up with this crisp.

These are delicious with a brie or chevre cheese. For more information on the berries click here.

Sea Buckthorn Crisps

2 c. all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 c. nuts of choice (I used pecans, whole)
1/2 c. honey
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 c. buttermilk (I used a combination of sour milk and kefir)
1/4 c. sesame seeds
1/4 c. pumpkin seeds
1 c. sea buckthorn

Mix dry ingredients and nuts and seeds in bowl of stand mixer. Combine wet ingredients in another bowl. Gradually add liquid to dry while mixer is on low speed.

Pour batter into two loaf pans. Bake for 30 minutes or until done in a 350F oven.

Cool on rack. Place in freezer for an hour and then slice thinly. Place on parchment lined baking sheet and bake at 275F for about 30 minutes or until crispy. Cool and store in air tight container.

Makes about 80 crisps and approximately 35 calories each.

2 comments:

  1. Having something crunchy for snacking is always good! Great idea to make your own, so you know it's healthy and low calorie!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment! Please visit often.