Cooking Classes

4.6.14

Arugula Grape and Sunflower Seed Salad

Simple is good especially in the hot days of summer. We are on the fast track out of spring into summer in our neck of the woods and loving it. I whipped up this little number on my lunch hour today. As you can see I substituted a salad mix for the arugula. Oh the trials and tribulations of small town shopping! No arugula this week, unfortunately. It was a bonus to find a special on red grapes.

 

When our own produce comes into season I will be making this with lettuces and microgreens, fresh cherries and almonds. I'll adjust the dressing to include balsamic vinegar. This is the fun of salads.

 

This month with the Cooking Light Supper Club we are celebrating the farmer, spring and vegetarian recipes.

 

Here is our round-up...

Susan of The Spice Garden brings us a tempting appetizer of Tempura Green Beans (with Mild Cayenne Sour Cream).
Val of More Than Burnt Toast compliments our menu with a Falafel Stuffed Eggplant


Sandi and Jerry are in Italy as we share this meal. Sandi of Whistlestop Cafe Cooking makes the ever so popular Hasselback Potatoes as she sips Limoncello  with Jerry of A Life, Lived.

 

Arugula, Grape, and Sunflower Seed Salad


3 tbsp. red wine vinegar
1 tsp. honey
1 tsp. maple syrup
1/2 tsp. grainy mustard
2 tsp. grapeseed oil
7 c. loosely packed arugula
2 c. red grapes, halved
2 tbsp. toasted sunflower seeds
1 tsp. chopped fresh thyme
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper

Combine vinegar, honey, syrup and mustard in a small bowl. Gradually add oil while stirring with a whisk.
Combine arugula, grapes, seeds and thyme in a large bowl. Drizzle vinegar mixture over and season with salt and pepper. Toss gently to coat.

4 comments:

  1. I like the sound of that dressing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is ah so gorgeous place, I closed my eyes & imagined myself sitting in the Sunflower Seed Salad .. It felt wonderful!
    Dining Room

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find arugula a little bitter, but your mix sounds perfect! The dressing sounds good, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Starting to really warm up here and this salad fits the bill for what I prefer to eat . . . fresh, in season, and cold! Thank you for reminding me how to eat better all summer long!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment! Please visit often.