Cooking Classes

7.3.14

Salmon Potato Pie

Last year I visited Osoyoos in British Columbia for the Slow Food Canada conference. Osoyoos is on the southern end of Okanagan Lake and just minutes from the U. S. border. It is also at the northern tip of the Sonoran Desert. Mental images of desert are a reality when you visit in the summer. The temperatures are high and rainfall low. The lake is rimmed with mountains and benches. I cannot imagine a more beautiful setting for vineyards and orchards.

It was at this conference that I learned about the Okanagan sockeye. Over the past century hydropower dams have been built downstream making it impossible for the salmon to return to the Lake. It has been so long since there have been salmon in the lake that someone like myself, not a local, didn't even realize they ever were there. Now a joint US/Canada effort of building fish ladders have allowed the salmon to come upstream and spawn. The levels of salmon in the lake now allow for sport and commercial fishing. You can read all about the return of the sockeye salmon in Canadian Geographic here.

I bought a can of this salmon to bring home. I have been saving it for a special occasion but I think I am a food hoarder. Today I am making it as a treat for myself.

As a child on the farm in Saskatchewan we always had hired hands. My father particularly liked the hardworking young men from a neighbouring farm. They had a large family and easily could allow one to work outside the home and they were good workers. We always had fish on Friday. Although we were not Catholic, they were and we made the meal to respect their beliefs. Tinned salmon made more than one appearance on our prairie dinner-time table.

Apparently this tradition of tinned salmon was also popular in New Brunswick. Browsing through the cookbook A Collage of Canadian Cooking, I found this recipe. Here is my traditional meatless Friday meal using my Okanagan sockeye salmon with a recipe from New Brunswick.

Pate aux Patates et au Saumon   (Salmon Potato Pie)

pastry for double pie shell
3 cups mashed potatoes (mashed with milk)  750 mL
1 can (419 g) salmon, drained and flaked
2 tablespoons butter                                          30 mL
2 tablespoons chopped onion                            30 mL
1 tablespoon each celery & carrot, chopped     15 mL
1/2 teaspoon Chesapeake Bay Style seasoning    2 mL
salt and pepper
milk to brush the crust

Line 9-inch pie plate with pastry.

Fold potatoes and flaked salmon together lightly.

Melt butter in small saucepan. Add onion and saute until tender, but not brown. Fold into potato-salmon mixture. Season with savory, salt and pepper.

Fill pastry-lined pie plate with potato mixture. Place top pastry over filling. Seal and crimp edges. Cut slashes in top.

Bake in preheated 425F oven 40-45 minutes until crust is golden.

3 comments:

  1. We love this pie..Yours is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks wonderful & I can't wait to try it. Big Guy's getting all he can out of retirement including lots of fishing!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment! Please visit often.