Cooking Classes

29.6.10

Rhubarb Ice Cream - Red & White for Canada Day

July 1 marks Canada's 143rd birthday.  My how time flies when you are having a good time!  I remember visiting Expo 67 for our 100th birthday.  Now that is dating me!

To mark this birthday, I thought I would follow Valli's lead at More Than Burnt Toast and make something with the colours of Canada's flag.  Julie at Dinner with Julie had a great idea for ice cream with rhubarb.  That is definitely red and white.  I have adapted it to use my favourite ice cream recipe.

I like to make a custard.  It just feels more like I made something.  I like this recipe for a few reasons.  Firstly, it uses the entire egg.  Therefore there are no egg whites sitting in the fridge waiting for another use.  With the egg white in the ice cream, it adds a bit of protein to all that fat and sugar.  Secondly, it uses half and half rather than full cream.  It is still very rich and creamy.

This ice cream is really more pink than red and white.  Don't be afraid to leave the rhubarb in larger chunks when you roast them because it does break down when it is in the ice cream maker.  You might even want to hold back some of the roasted rhubarb to add later so you will have nice pieces of it.  There is just something about rhubarb that calls for a great big scoop!

Roasted Rhubarb Ice Cream

Cut about 2 pounds of rhubarb into one inch pieces.  Spread on a baking sheet lined with a silpat or parchment paper.  Sprinkle with 3/4 cup of sugar.  Roast at 400F for about 20 minutes.  The rhubarb will be tender and all the juices will be bubbling with the sugar and carmelizing.  Chill.

To make the ice cream custard:

Beat 2 eggs until foamy.  Beat in 1/2 cup sugar.  Beat in 2 cups of half and half cream.  Cook in a double boiler until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.  Add 1/2 teaspoon vanilla.  Chill.

Mix the rhubarb with the chilled custard and process in ice cream maker according to their directions.

15 comments:

  1. That looks really good! And ice cream weather is finally upon us, although I can go for ice cream any time...I'll have to try your "whole egg" theory one of these days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never even thought of rhubarb ice cream, I bet its delicious! Happy Birthday Canada :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never thought of adding rhubarb to ice cream. This sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. J'adore la glace mais je n'en ai jamais fait à la rhubarbe. Ça doit être délicieux.
    A bientôt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now that is a new one, rhubarb icecream, huh??? I will have to investigate this because I do love rhubarb anything... just made a little with cherries... it was so good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. yeppers, this is a fine way to honor the nation of canada--excellent choice of red ingredient and final product. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Woohoo!! Happy Canada Day! This ice cream looks great! I've never tried rhubarb because it looks like red celery LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Canada Day! A very fitting dish for such occasion and you certainly are making good use of all the rhubarb!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for joining in on the Is My Face Red (and White) theme Canada Day party. This rhubarb ice cream looks fantastic and a perfect way to celebrate:D

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow! What a neat way to enjoy rhubarb! I've never tried it, but I would love to try this ice-cream!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sarah

    You keep taunting me with this rhubarb! I am gonna' have to taste it somehow! Love that very pink ice-cream color, so girlie and adorable. Could we eat it with some pink candy?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I caught myself humming "Oh Canada"....

    ReplyDelete
  13. Marvelous recipe! I do love rhubarb.
    Happy Canada Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You all have to try this. It is THE best rhubarb recipe so far!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Rhubard ice cream sounds so good!
    I remember going to Montreal for Expo67. I was expecting son #2. Great memoris.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment! Please visit often.